Thursday 2 December 2010

Media

I have been meaning to add this photograph to my blog for a while now. I took this image for the Liverpool Biennial project in which we were asked to take an image which reflects contemporary art in some form and was influence by the different shows in some aspect. There were a lot of political messages in many of the exhibits and therefore I decided I wanted to produce a piece which puts a message across. The photograph I took as been posted below. The literal message not to eat everything the media tells you. The idea of this picture is to express how  most things delivered by the media need to be taken with a pinch of salt (pun intended).






I was quite please with this image, however what i dont like about it is how dark it is on the right hand side. I liked the shadow which developed round the bottom of the plate on the right, however I think it would have been a more interesting image had I added some light to the light and put it on a lower power setting, to keep it darker however to fill it with a bit of light.
Another thing I am not sure of is weather the image is clear enough on its own and if the messge comes across without having to literally tell the viewer and I hope so, because I very often prefer art pieces untitled. 

1 comment:

  1. I know you stated that you don't like the effect the light has on your picture, but I like it.

    You are drawn to the entire picture taking in not just the fries/chips and ketchup, but the fork tongs hovering above the fries/chips; the pale glow of red the ketchup makes on the inner circle of the plate. The colour of the fries/chips is enhanced by the light/dark effect of the wooden table.

    I believe the message is there if you really look at the picture, it can be read one of two ways; for the health conscious it says "you have had enough", for the lover of fries/chips its says "just a few more wont hurt".

    I could see this in an ad for Ketchup enticing the consumer to buy, or in a magazine geared toward healthy eating; stating "walk away don't eat them all".

    ReplyDelete